Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mourning a loss

I called my dad today just to update him on the house-hunting and then he told me the sad news...

Peaches, my cat of 13-14 years, had been ill for a few weeks now and my parents noticed she wasn't eating hardly. Even when I was last home, I picked her up and she felt a little skinny but I had no idea what was going to happen. I guess it was Tuesday when Dad said that he couldn't find her and he noticed that she was hiding in weird places--places where she usually didn't go. Then, yesterday he found her up on the grill (which was unusual --how the heck did she jump up there if she was looking really weak). Dad saw a puddle of wet and saw that it was blood. He then wiped Peaches' mouth and the blood had been coming out of her mouth. He took her to the vet this morning and the vet looked and said that it looked to be an infection in her mouth--possibly impacted teeth or cancer. Antibiotics were a solution to the infection, but if it were cancer, the vet said that he probably wouldn't do anything since she was already so old. So, the vet said he would do a blood test to find out what the problem was and Dad left the office after signing the papers for a possible euthanization. The vet called later today and said that her kidneys had failed and that there was no hope for her. My dad gave the ok for them to put her down. My dad said that he got tears in his eyes while he was leaving the vet earlier today.

Peaches was such a good-spirited cat. She was so nice and she let us do just about anything to her (i.e. drag her around, wrap her in a blanket and whatnot)...she was my baby. I'm going to miss her terribly. I will always remember her.

No comments: