Sunday, June 17, 2007

Idaho City--a booming metropolis!

(These charming people were there to great us as we walked up to the visitor center of Idaho City)


(I think this machine thing has to do with gold mining. Idaho City was founded because of the Gold Rush)


(This the town strip. There were a lot of tourists there, including us!)



(The town courthouse)




(The main drag once more)

We went to a small town yesterday just on a whim while we were out driving. The very small town of Idaho city has a population of about 458. These pictures are a taste of what the downtown scene looked like and it was pretty exciting. The town was basically a ghost town. There wasn't that much activity going on, although, we did witness a newlywed couple leaving on their way to their honeymoon. They had their big ol' truck with decorations tied to it and some choice phrases written on the windows complete with the toilet paper and cans tied to the back. What fun! We walked around the town a little and we went in and out of nic-nac stores. We ended up buying a rootbeer float to enjoy on this very warm day. That was about it though. There wasn't very much to see. The best part was driving up there because the scenery was absolutely beautiful. I will post those pictures in the next entry.


1 comment:

Katie and Joe said...

Hey jen!! sorry I haven't been replying back to any of your comments. I honestly am still trying to figure all of this 'blog' stuff out, but now I know how to use it! I love reading all of your entries...I am jealous that you have so much time to write about each day. I wish we could do that..but alas..we just dont have that time. Oh well! Our schedule looks a bit crazy for the summer( as expected:)We are still trying to work it out with the directors as far as what each week will look like. It sounds like you guys are living quite the adventure out there! Parades, roller blades, house hunting! I am glad things are going well. And glad that you arrived safely! I am sad, though, to hear about Peaches. I know it is tough...she was a trooper, wasn't she? A wonderful companion and friend. But at least she isn't in pain, right? Ahh, Peaches...sweet kitty :) Will you and Kyle think about getting a pet of your own soon? That would be fun! We have little kittens here at camp and they are adorable. My favorite one is a little orange and white tabby cat with blue/gray eyes. He is so timid and gentle :) You would like him. Alrighty, now that i have written a book, I had better get going. Hopefully I can find more time to write...but again, i appologize if it takes a while for me to reply back to things. Love you! Say hi to kyle for me. Bye!