Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Bookwormerific

I went to the BSU library today with Kyle to go pick up some books for my thesis this semester (well, it's technically called a "Capstone paper"). The professors don't call it a thesis for some reason but it's an article that could have the possibility for publication in hopes of turning us into doctoral students. Yeah right! Hell would have to freeze over before I became a doctoral student! I've put in enough time and punishment just getting this master's degree! :)

I got about 15 books or so to get me started. I'm brainstorming on possible topics and the topics are all sorta related but I just got to narrow it down and decide exactly what I'm going to cover in the actual paper. My two possible titles are: The Power of Monolingualism? (meaning, is there really power in only being monolingual?) OR The Politics of Monolingualism (meaning, what does it say about a society that enforces only one language on the people? i.e. the English-Only Movement). This is sorta what I've just become interested in throughout the course of acquiring my degree. I've witnessed ELL tutors (one, in particular, comes to mind) that have said to the children, "ENGLISH ONLY, PLEASE!!!" What kind of message is that sending to the kids? The kids pick up on that too because I've heard the kids repeat it even though their English is limited, they say it and once they realize it, they will then throw their own language/culture down the toilet and lose their roots. It's damaging. Anyway, I've got to narrow my search and figure out exactly how to address this issue. :)

No comments: