Sunday, August 23, 2009

Idaho Fair!

Texas Longhorn
He had an itch so he decided to rub his head against the cage bars. If somebody wasn't watching where they were going, they'd get poked or goosed by his horns!

IT'S A WATUSI!!! These animals are native to Africa. Some tribes in Africa use a mixture of milk and blood from this animal for some of their rituals. I saw this on "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern" (on the Travel channel) and Andrew did drink some of this junk--it seriously made me want to throw up.
We went to the Idaho Fair tonight because we wanted an elephant ear. We got one ear and split it because they're too big for one person to eat alone (although, I probably could but know I shouldn't). Then Kyle said he wanted one more junk food, deep fried Fair food item. He got a Pronto Pup corndog and he enjoyed it thoroughly. My next thing was a unique item that probably is only found here in Idaho. I got an ice cream potato! Now, you're probably thinking, "what is an ice cream potato? why would you want to eat ice cream on a potato???" Well, it's not an actual potato. It's ice cream shaped into a potato and it's even colored like one with cinnamon on the outside to give the ice cream the potato skin color and it's sliced in half just like you would do a potato and it's even got a dollop of "sour cream", which is whipped cream. It's awesome but I mean, it's just ice cream and tastes like ice cream so it doesn't taste like a potato. It just looks EXACTLY like one! It plays with your mind, seriously. The next people that come out to visit us here, we'll take you to the West-side Drive-in because they serve those and I think it's a cultural experience! :)
Monday will be a teacher workday for me so Kyle has said that he'll go in with me and help me with my room setup. I've already started some of it but it still needs help. I want to get a welcome rug for the entry way and I want to maybe eventually get some plants (probably fake since I have no windows in my room) to bring in some life to the room. I've got to get my stuff organized too and I have to come up with plans for the first full week or maybe more! I'm SO EXCITED!!! I also want to have a cozy reading corner but in order to have a reading corner, I need more books. I only have about 3 books that I found there at the school. I don't know how I'm gonna do this. Maybe I'll stop by a thrift store and see about cheap books that way I don't spend a fortune on stuff with my own money. Each teacher gets about $300 for their room for the whole year so I need to use that wisely! I already know that I need pencils probably but paper isn't an issue because my dept. head said she had tons of paper. I also need journals for my students but again, those will probably be provided for me. I will take pictures once my room is pretty much done. :)
It's late. Gotta go to bed because I really need to start a regular schedule for myself or else I'm not gonna survive in the early mornings!


No comments: