Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Some thoughts I had last night

After the president was elected last night, I went onto my facebook to see how my fellow facebook friends were responding to the news. I especially wanted to see what kind of response my African American friends were having. Of course, it was all jubilant and why shouldn't they be? Obama achieved something for the African American race that was really never thought possible and I'm happy for that group of people because this is quite a milestone in history! The only thing I started to wonder is the use of the word "we" as they used it in the phrase "Yes we can!" and "We did it!" Now, does that word "we" mean that the newly elected president only belongs to the African American people? Because that's not the case now. He's OUR president for an entire country and should not belong to one race of people. The president is for ALL people: white, black, yellow, red and purple. You know what I mean? I also saw something on someone else's facebook that said that she didn't want to hear anymore about the "white man" keeping the "black man" down! I agree with this because over the past few years, I've heard or sensed from black coworkers or acquaintances that they feel oppressed or underprivileged in the white world....well, not anymore! This election proves that the African Americans can and will overcome whatever stood in their way. I'm not racist by any means because I've grown up with friends who are considered the minority (i.e. Asian, Indian, and African American) and I have all the respect in the world for all people of different cultures. In this election though, it really made me think and actually it made me a little nervous I guess because I've always taken for granted a white president of the USA. Maybe this is the change we need, I don't know, but whomever the country would've chosen, they have a lot to take care of and the presidency is absolutely NOTHING to take advantage of or go into unknowingly and it's definitely not something to be taken lightly. We have a serious mess on our hands and we need someone who can keep a level head and look out for EVERYONE (rich, poor and middle class) instead of just one particular group of people.


I hope this made sense because it actually sounded a lot better last night when I first was thinking about it and maybe it was because I was, at first, disappointed. Now, I'm a little worried but I think if our country can overcome any prejudices or any other hangups we have had about color/nationality/religion that has held us back in the past, then surely we can overcome the problems we're having right now and possibly become a stronger country in the future. This is me being optimistic because I really don't want to complain because I know we'll be hearing a lot of arguing and whining from now on and until the next four years are over.

No comments: