Thursday, November 27, 2008

Our Thanksgiving 2008 spread...without a hitch--well, not much of one anyway





The meal was pretty good except for the fact that the sweet potato/acorn squash bake didn't turn out as I expected, which is always a disappointment. I forgot to bake it with foil covering it and remembered the last 5 minutes of the 35 minutes it was supposed to bake. So, I tried to see if I could make up for some of it by covering it and then pushing the time up a little more. Nope. The stuff came out a little dry and some were moist but it still just didn't do it for me. Kyle said that he wanted to try it again sometime and then he would help me peel the acorn squash. I was like, "Good because this was a tedious dish and I'm sad that it didn't turn out as well as I had imagined for as tedious it was to peel that dang acorn squash!" Oh well, the green bean casserole was really good! I made it with 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup and it was sooooo goood! Kyle said he noticed a difference with the type of soup I used. Most of the time, he wants me to use real ingredients and he doesn't like it when I used the reduced fat stuff....this was a little of an exception because he liked how the taste of the green beans themselves came out more instead of being so rich with creamy soup. But, I think he still prefers it with the real, heavy, creamy soup. I told him that I have to do this so that I can get through the holiday season dishes and not feel "deprived" even though I don't feel deprived at all (well, most of the time I don't but when I do feel a little bit, it's still manageable). He seems to understand but I know he really wants the real thing. The ham was good as always! I made the pumpkin custard and it was the star of the show...until we saw what it looked like all dumped on a big platter. Let's just say that it tastes SO SO SO much better than it looked on the platter. It was just one big splatter on the platter (ha!) when I pulled it out but once we garnished it with some fat-free whipped topping and some pecans, it was to die for! It tasted JUST like you were eating the filling of a pumpkin pie! mmmm....
We started thinking about what we were thankful for and this is what we came up with:
We're thankful for:
Having the means to fix our own Thanksgiving meal
Having the skills necessary to cook the meal
Kyle says he's happy to have a wife who will cook this wonderful meal for him
Being able to pay the bills no matter what, even though it might be a stretch sometimes
Not being in debt
Being together in a new place
Having wonderful families back home GA who love us more than words can say
Those are just a few of the many things we came up with. :) We wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and know that we were thinking of everyone at the different family get-togethers at some point throughout the day!



No comments: