Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Why is it always the ugly ones?

I went with Kyle to his thesis meeting at BSU today since he just wanted the company. I did some computering in the lab while he had his meeting with the professor. When he came to get me, we were about to leave when he realized he forgot something. I was just wandering/loitering in the hall while he ran back to the prof's office and while I was waiting, I saw a strange sight. There was this rather homely looking woman walking down the hallway in a one-piece dress toward me. Without staring and gawking, I casually looked her up and down as her back was facing me. Well, I thought something was a bit masculine about her and I was thinking how unfortunate it was to be that masculine looking when it hit me....it was a man. Just to be sure though, he-she walked back by me and I looked at the arms and the calves and yes, they were very man-ish. Also, he-she was thinning in the hair at the back of the head. He-she hadn't quite mastered the "feminine" walk and so he-she was just loping along the hallway. Those poor ballerina flat shoes were so not made for man feet! They were so stretched out of shape and all strained looking. It was definitely an interesting sight and if I had been tacky enough, I would've taken a picture but I guess I'm not trashy enough. hahaha.

Anyway, so when Kyle and I were clearly out of the building and headed back to the car, I asked him if he had seen this person. He did not but he had heard of a professor that was currently transitioning from a man to a woman and he was gradually starting that process by taking hormones and whatnot. He had been told by one of his professors during a class about this guy so that there were no surprises and extra, unnecessary talking in the building. Kyle said he wished he would've seen this person and that he's sorry he missed out on this opportunity to catch a glimpse of this "transitioning" professor. But seriously, why do these very masculine-looking, blocky males feel as though they need to be turned into women? Why can't they just be gay? I don't understand this concept of suddenly changing your sex. I mean, I feel bad for them because I know it is a feeling that you get early in life (or maybe later in life, who knows) that you're different but I mean, what about going to the bathroom? Do you go into your "real" bathroom, i.e. would this professor be expected to go into the men's room? Or would "he" go into the women's room? What would be considered appropriate for someone like that? Especially since people know that he IS a man...I wouldn't feel really comfortable with a male coming into the women's room but at the same time, other men probably wouldn't feel right for a "woman" to come into the men's room? So, why don't they just be gay and stay their own sex? And then, these people who change what they are, if they're still interested in the opposite sex, how do they deal with that? This is something I'm going to have research about and find out how these people deal with certain predicaments. It's intriguing but I know it's probably a pretty painful process for all who are involved, not to mention the person to whom this identity crisis is happening...I guess though, it's better that we allow these people who feel tortured in the bodies that they're in find who they really are and who they really want to be because if we turn them away and ridicule them for what they feel, that too can cause pain and oftentimes, these people feel so horribly about themselves that they end their life. It's a sad situation but I'm willing to open my mind and accept these people for who they are (even though it's weird, strange and unfamiliar to me).

No comments: