Saturday, May 30, 2009

ATL, here we come!

We're leaving for the Boise airport in about 2 hours. We're excited to be going home for about a week! We know it'll go way too fast but it's better than nothing at all! :)

Yesterday I had an interview for a German teaching position at a high school (actually it's at 2 high schools because I'd have to travel to the other to teach 2 periods). The bad thing about this is that I don't get a planning/lunch period...eating on the go is NOT the ideal situation for someone on Weightwatchers....the GOOD thing is that the pay is regular contract pay, PLUS 1/6 additional payment because I will have to teach 6 periods instead of the regular 5 that a "normal" classroom teacher would do. Money's good, especially when it's extra. But I better not get my hopes up yet though because there are 5 candidates and I'll never know just who they have in mind. Although, I have been getting very strong recommendations from the Boise High principal, who according to the French teacher, has some weight to throw around (haha, this is kinda funny because he's actually kind of a heavy guy too). He's really nice though and he lets me know every day that he's pulling for me. :)

One thing I have not let anybody know yet is---I've picked up another endeavor. I've started the ABCTE teacher certification program. What it is, is an alternative route to teacher certification for other fields of study (in my case). Only 4 or 5 states in the country accept this, which is a little stressful because if we somehow have to move before I'm done with this stuff, there's a chance that this money could go to waste. Anyway, I've decided to get certified in elementary education as a back up back up plan if neither of my other things (German or ESL) work out for me. I'm trying to make myself as marketable as possible. Unfortunately, it's a little overwhelming but I'm trying to take it one step at a time. I've got my praxis test for ELL coming up in late July and I've gotta study like a fool for that because sadly, my Master's program classes has taught me NOTHING in regards to technical language acquisition (i.e. phonology, morphology, syntax, etc...). UGH! So, I have a praxis study guide, notes I've been taking from that, and some newly acquired books from a friend of mine that has already taken the test. I think I'll be working on studying for this during this trip of ours. As for studying for the ABCTE certification exams (Multiple subject test and Professional Teaching Knowledge), I have up to a year to complete this. I can kinda put this on the back burner until I've come to grips with this Praxis stuff. *Sigh* I'm so busy. Busy, Busy, Busy...


Oh well...I've got big plans. Let's hope that at least something works out for us. :)

No comments: