Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

I hope this post finds everybody having a good Easter! The weather is beautiful here and what better day than today for the sun to be shining and only a few clouds in the sky with most of the sky being blue. It's a toasty 57 degrees! Ha! It's still warm though--warm enough that we were able to sit outside and eat our lunch. I made Bistro Chicken Pasta Salad. It was rather tasty...I'll post the recipe maybe. I might make it for the 4th of July in Indiana. Mmm..


Nothing much has been happening lately. We've just been really busy with work and school. I've been pluggin' along at the high school. I have good days and then I have bad days, which is to be expected, I guess. It's been rough but it'll just make me appreciate summer that much more. I've got about a month and a half to go and so only a short time to endure. I'm coming up with new activities for the kids to do in the various classes. My English Learner's class, we're going to be starting a personal anthology of poems and narratives based on their life experiences. I figured it'd be interesting since a lot of those refugees/immigrants tend to have extremely different experiences than what we all have here. One girl told me she loved writing love poems and boy, does she ever! She gave me several pages of poems she'd written and they were very....intimate sounding. They weren't X-rated or anything just poems that illustrate a girl who is very much into love and the whole concept of love. I'm gonna tell her that she can include these poems that she's written in the anthology that we're gonna write as a class. When they're done, and if they've taken their time and made them nice, I'm gonna have them type the poems and stories up and then I'm gonna get them spiral-bound. If there's time, I may even talk to the librarians and see if they will put some of these anthologies in the library for other students to look at and read. Maybe they'll just keep them in the library until the next year, who knows? In my other German classes, I'm gonna continue what I'm doing but there is one class where they're almost done with their workbooks and stuff and will need some other stuff to take up time so I'm gonna do a fairytale unit and mix in some short lesson stories that the Germans use to teach children good habits. Those stories are fun and are often quite violent in order to get the point across. I think the students will like them. Anything with a little violence, right? Haha. There's one story in particular that talks about how one shouldn't suck their thumb or else the man with the thumb scissors will come and snip off their thumb! How's that for a nightmare?


Anyway, Kyle still has a job and for the most part, there are no worries for him. He's starting a project there (a sort of trouble-shooting project) for failed recipes for their um...whatchamacallits....and the group he set up will look for ways to make the recipes better and fix what went wrong. His supervisor told him that he's getting a lot of positive attention from the higher-ups because of this project he's started so maybe this is a good sign! Fingers crossed!

No comments: