Saturday, October 13, 2007

An update because it's finally the weekend

I worked for almost the whole week and I'm so glad it's the weekend now. I'm starting to get calls and requests for me out the wazoo. I had 3 jobs that requested me this upcoming week. Unfortunately, 2 were scheduled for the same day and so I picked the one that came to me first and the other one was for Wednesday, which conflicts with my advisement appointment with an education advisor because, yes, I probably will be a college student once again next semester. I'm going to pursue my English Language Learners endorsement! Hopefully I won't have to take too many classes and I can be out in a semester or so.

Well, let's see...let me recap who I subbed for this past week. Tuesday was only a half day at a middle school. It was a geography class and I went in at about 11am. It was kinda tough because I came right as the next class began and the teacher didn't leave until he "got them started" on their activity. I quoted that because he really didn't get them started and he was WAY too lax with them and so that made them crazy for when I took over. They were VERY talkative and wouldn't quiet down because he had gotten them riled up. So, finally that period was over and I decided that I would crack down on the next period and see what happens. This proved to really work on the next period! I had a great time with them and they were quietly working the whole period! The aide that comes in everyday at that time was surprised. I did good. The rest of that teacher's day was really easy because he coached P.E. and he had told me that the kids were playing with another class and the other teacher would probably take over and not need me. So, I got to go home after the kids were settled in the gym and they started their warm-ups. The teacher also had planning period for last period so I really didn't have to stay! That was nice to get paid for a half day and only have to stay for 2 hours.

Wednesday was at Boise High and I had a traveling teacher's position. That wasn't bad because I was used to traveling across a school with a cart. She didn't have a cart though for that day--just movies. It was really laid back too.

Thursday was another half day at a middle school and I just realized that Thursday was the geography day and Tuesday was another middle school, so just switch the stories with the days. Both half days were good in their own ways.

Friday was at Garfield Elementary and I was subbing for a Title I tutor. That also required me to travel and then pull out some kids to work in small groups on their different activities. I liked it. It was fun!

Anyway, it was a good and exhausting week at the same time! Monday, I have a job already lined up for a teacher I have already taught for a couple of weeks ago. It should be a good day.

No comments: