Thursday, February 5, 2009

4 hours seemed like a lifetime

I subbed for four hours in Mrs. Birch's first grade classroom today and it seemed like a lifetime. I'm reminded of my favorite phrase used to describe first grade classrooms: "It's like herding kittens." That's truly what it's like...especially today. The kids were ALL over the place. It wore me out!


I also had to report a strange man on the property of the school who appeared to be rolling marijuana joints. I saw him as I was parking in the sidelot and he was sitting on a picnic table bench with bag of contraband in between his knees and papers in his hand, secretively rolling the material up. I tried not to focus too much on him so he didn't sense anyone really watching him. I walked into the building and signed in as a sub and then immediately reported it to the secretary and principal. They both walked out there to check it out but then when they came back into the school, they told me that he was gone and was walking on the other side of the street at that time they went out there. Thankfully, he'd gotten the notion to leave and take his business elsewhere.


Anyway, eventful day it was. I found out about my friend, Maren and her exciting news about being pregnant...she's been married only since this past August. Oh well. It must be something in the water here in Idaho...I hope I don't catch it. I know everytime I hear of someone else being pregnant, I always write about it and complain. Well, it just seems like all of our friends here in Idaho are "leaving" us and having babies. The one couple that we really, really like and love to hang around and who don't plan on having any children anytime soon is of course, moving to another state entirely (Arjun and Prithvi). Arjun is leaving in March to join Prithvi in Texas after having lived apart as a married couple for about 10 months or so. Everyone else here? Either pregnant or has multiple children. Argh. Okay. Enough whining...our time will come eventually (when we're 100% committed to having one and that should be the only time we would have one...not because of peer pressure).

No comments: