Monday, March 10, 2008

Ski Day

I took a personal day from school today and we went skiing...again. 2 days in a row for me. I'm thinkin' this is gonna get me in shape pretty quickly--especially my legs. I am able to go down blue diamond slopes pretty easily but not without a little worry in the back of my mind. So far, I've gone down green slopes (easy) and now blue (a little bit harder and a little bit steeper). I conquered the one that I went down and fell down 5 times last weekend--it's called the Silver Queen and it's green, although our instructor says it's a pretty dark green--closer to blue, he thinks. I'm able to keep somewhat under control and do my turns and keep from near missing trees. :) We went up to the highest point on the mountain today and it was beautiful! We could see the Sawtooth Mountains from where we were--I haven't posted any pictures yet but I will--hold ya' horses! The pictures really don't do it justice though, I must say. Anyway, we're both exhausted and our muscles are a bit strained. My knees kinda hurt because I didn't do the most graceful falls today--and I have to say that those falls weren't because I couldn't handle the slope! One fall was because we were in the process of conquering Silver Queen by doing slow turns and we ended up going too slow and my ski got tripped up. The other fall was because Kyle dropped his pole and I was trying to ever-so-carefully swoop down and get it for him and I bent over too far and my calves twisted backwards and I fell. It hurt! I guess I better not fall too much like that or else I'll end up like the lady we rode the lift up with--she's getting knee surgery on April Fool's (of all days).

So, tomorrow I've got to go back to school--back to the real world, I guess. :( Oh well, we'll probably go again this next weekend (and we'll be going back during spring break in 2 weeks). I never thought I'd have so much fun but it really is very enjoyable and the trails we were skiing on this afternoon before we went home were so peaceful. You could stop skiing and all you would hear was just absolute peace and quiet. Nothing but maybe some people snowboarding in the distance. It was probably the closest you could ever really get to just being with nature and all it had to offer. *sigh* I'm beat. I better get to bed and sleep off some of this fatigue. Boy howdy though, I earned a whoppin' 12-13 activity points for WW!! Talk about some excellent exercise! :)

ps. I want so badly to get some action shots of us skiing but seeing as though you need both hands and all of your concentration to do this sport--it's a bit of a hazard. Sorry, folks.

pps. Random story from this afternoon: I asked these 2 men where a certain slope was and one of them said he didn't remember and the other one asked, "Can I guess where ya'll are from?" I said, "Sure." He said, "Illinois!" Ummm...NO. We said, "Georgia." He said, "Oh, you woulda thought I coulda guessed it since I'm from South Carolina! Maybe you guys are just stopped up or something!" WHAT??? Is he saying we sound nasally??? HA! Oh well. I told him we have family in Indiana though--he didn't respond--he probably felt like an idiot by then. I know I would've.

No comments: