Saturday, June 19, 2010

2.48!!!

I finished my half marathon today at 2:48!! That's good because it's pretty close to my first half marathon time--and that first time was with a TON of training. This time, I didn't train much but that's okay. I had plenty of aerobic endurance due to many Zumba classes and other aerobic exercising. My hip started hurting around the 3rd mile and I thought, "Oh no, here we go.." Then my pinky toes began to hurt around the 9th mile and I just kept pushing through it all. I did do something different this time. I bought these things called "Gu Chomps". They're like fruit snack pieces that athletes use to get energy during strenuous exercise. I bought some of those and took them with me on this run in a little pouch. Everytime I started to feel weakened, I chewed on 4 of those and it helped me get through it. If anything, it gave me something to think about other than "Oh my god, I'm gonna die." I also had some really good, driving beat music that got me through more than half of the race. I had a really good time though. The route was beautiful! I'm totally convinced that my time for the last half marathon in Seattle (3:15) was because the route repeated itself a couple of times, meaning I had to retrace my steps twice during the race due to how they created the route.

Anyway, my knee joints are hating me right now and so are my leg muscles but I don't care. However, guess I better go soak for a little bit in an ice bath for about 10-15 minutes (that's what I read in a runner's magazine). Supposedly the cold constricts the blood vessels, thus reduces the recovery time. :) We'll see. I'll let you know if it works.

No comments: