Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The brother visit

I went to Indiana this past weekend to visit Chris after he graduated from Marine boot camp. It was awesome to finally see him after he got done with his experience. He looked really grown up! Tall and thin (like always) but with the added muscle! :) It was really good to see him and I got to crying on Saturday night before I went back to grandma and grandpa's house in order to leave the next morning. :( I thought I could make it without tears but I just thought about it too hard. I just want him to be careful and not to get too heroic. He's already a hero to so many people just by enlisting. It was a weekend full of laughing and squealing (all by me anyway). Chris was back to his brotherly antics of tickling me and making funny noises and saying funny and hilarious things! You can only imagine! I laughed and giggled all the way back to Milford from the Fort Wayne airport. I think grandma and grandpa got a kick out of it. They said it was just like having kids in the backseat all over again. :) :)


Oh boy, but the flight over and the flight back were not what I was expecting (or maybe I was since it was going through Chicago O'Hare). Friday morning's flight went just as scheduled with the added bonus of having a friend sit next to me (she is a classmate of mine here at BSU). What were the odds that somebody I knew would be on my same exact flight?? It sure made a long 3 hour+ flight go a lot quicker and less lonely! ;) So, we landed on time in Chicago at about 11:45am. We both headed in the same general direction of our gates and ate some lunch. Suddenly I looked up at the monitor and realized they had changed my gate. So it started. I went to that gate, we all boarded the plane and then sat there for about 10-15 minutes before the pilot told us there was a mechanical malfunction. We ended up having to deplane and move to another gate so that they could get us a new plane. It took about 2 hours or so before we got a new plane and could actually board. I was supposed to be in Fort Wayne by about 3. Yeah...we didn't take off from Chicago until about 4:30pm!!!! I got to Indiana by about 5:15 or so. Then on Sunday morning on our way to the airport, I got the call that both my flights had been cancelled and they had rebooked me for the following day. NO WAY! We continued to the airport and they were able to book me on an 8am flight (13 minutes earlier than my previous--go figure). Anyway, got on that flight after all the hullabaloo about me not going and getting the actual boarding pass from Delta (they had switched me from United to Delta) but nobody told me to do that!! I had to go back through security and then finally made it up to my gate. Got on the plane and we got to Detroit. My next stop would be Detroit to Salt Lake City, where I'd be on standby for the 3:13pm flight but confirmed for the 4:55pm flight just in case. FINALLY got to SLC and was worried that I couldn't get on the standby until the lady called me at the last possible minute! I ended up getting to Boise at about 4:30pm. I was regularly scheduled to get to Boise at 12:40pm that day. ICK!


After all was said and done though, it was TOTALLY worth it, especially since it turns out that Chris is going back to Cali on Monday morning. I have a very small thought in the back of mind as to why that was. I don't know if I want to say it because it might end up being true but maybe I'll just hypothesize anyway: I think it was changed because maybe they're wanting to get the guys trained quicker so that deployment happens sooner...that's just my speculation. I REALLY hope that's not the case but a lot of times, when I get hunches like that, they tend to be more or less true. I'm just going to be hoping real hard that it's not the case.


Anyway, I will post some pictures that we took together later.

No comments: