Friday, October 1, 2010

Don't I feel like a donkey's rear?

Yesterday I was subbing at an elementary school and the morning went a little rough because the kids were SO ACTIVE and talkative! They were being so rowdy when we had a guest speaker. I told them that I was disappointed in their behavior and that the rest of the day had better improve so that I don't have to keep writing "bad" notes to the teacher. They got better. As good as they could get, anyway. So, after library time, we had 10 minutes before lunch and it was their silent reading time. I told them as they entered the room, that they needed to continue reading silently until I called them to line up for lunch. THEY DID IT. So I was happy about that and took a mental note. During lunch, I took the little Way To Go Wagon rewards and filled them out to give to each student to show my appreciation. I decided I would give them to the students when they came in from lunch/recess. Well, after everyone came in, I gave them each one explaining why I was doing so. No sooner had I passed out most of the rewards, the people who monitor the playgrounds (school support personnel, SSP for now) came into the classroom and gave everyone a lecture about name calling and disrespect out on the playground. I felt like a donkey's rear because I had just given them a reward for respecting rules and whatnot. As the SSP were leaving, I asked the kids whether I needed to take back the rewards or not. I felt SO DUMB. But I rationalized that I was not rewarding playground behavior but the classroom behavior I had witnessed just before lunch. Ugh. I hate when stuff like that happens. Also, what's ironic is they had JUST had a lesson in the morning from the counselor about bullying and emotional safety and name calling. Guess some people weren't taking that advice to heart.

No comments: