Friday, November 23, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving! (a day late)




Well, wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving--even though I'm a day late, but you're probably still eating the food, right? So, it's okay to be a little late. So, did anyone take part in "Black Friday" today? I actually had never really put in the effort to get up REALLY early but today was the day. I got up when Kyle got up and when he left at about 5:45am, I left also and headed to the mall. I thought it was gonna be a huge mistake because the lines of cars entering the mall area was backed up really far.

Actually it wasn't so bad. I found a parking space and JCPenney wasn't that badly crowded at 6:00am. I found a couple of things that I had been wanting (clotheswise) and ended up being able to buy it in a size smaller! The pants were main thing that I was able to downsize! I had been wearing a size 14-16 in pants and now I can fit in a 12 comfortably so far! That probably depends on the cut of the pant too because we all know that some things fit better than others depending on brand and apparently color sometimes. I got 2 sweaters from IZOD (pink and blue). I wanted a green, but they didn't have one in my size in that color. I left Penney's and went to Borders and bought Kyle a movie he'd been thinking about watching (it was on sale for a good low price so I figured if he ended up not liking it, it wasn't like I spent $15-20 on it). I left the mall and got back home around 7:15 and went back to sleep--HA!

But then I went back out because I needed a pair of khaki pants/trousers/slacks (however you want to call them). My good ones that I already had got ink on them and I was bummed, but I think it turned out for the best since I ended up getting an even BETTER pair at Kohl's! There wasn't much parking at Kohl's today. It was more crowded and the lines stretched all the way to the back of the store. I started to wonder if it was a mistake going there but it turned out that I got some good stuff--I even got a nice dress up sweater blouse for the wedding I'm attending! It's a blouse that I never would've thought about buying in the past because of being so self-conscious about my tummy but it really looks good on me! I bought a nice dressy black purse and my khaki pants. I also bought Kyle some more boxer shorts because the ones he has now have holes in them--it's time for new underwear, Kyle!! I would've bought him a nice sweater and nice slacks but he said he wants to be there when we get him clothes. He has to approve. :) *Sigh* I just wish I could have that extra $5,000 that Stacy and Clinton give you to buy just clothes on that show, "What not to Wear"! There's just so many things I could buy and want to buy! Especially since I have been learning some stuff from their show about what to look for in pants and jeans and blouses. I know...I have to think realistically...not everyone can be that fortunate!

Well, the last thing that Kyle said to me before I left to go shopping was, "Don't spend too much money!" In my opinion, I didn't spend too much, but we'll see. BUT I got stuff that can be worn with different things and I also bought him some stuff that I knew I could buy without him being there. I think I spent around..hmmm...around $170 today. I hope he doesn't think that's too much because I really like the stuff I bought, and he even said that he didn't require much new clothing so can I make up the difference on me? Especially since I'm gonna need more clothes in a smaller size and I'm gonna have to start bagging up stuff that I'm not gonna wear anymore!

Last night I made our Thanksgiving dinner. I made a honey-glazed ham, sweet potatoes, greenbean casserole and a pumpkin pie. The recipes for the side dishes are as follows:

Sweet Potatoes:
4 yams (or you can use the canned stuff, which is way easier)
3/4c. non-fat coconut milk (or lite)
1tbsp butter
Mix all together (after mashing the yams and heat them in the microwave)

Cornbread dressing:
1 lb. sausage (hot or mild)
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
5 cups dry, day old bread cubed
5 cups crumbled cornbead
2 tsp. rubbed sage
1 tsp. marjoram
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2-3 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp. butter or margarine

Cook sausage in a large skilled until brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Saute' onion and celery in remaining sausage drippings until tender. Combine sausage, sauteed vegetables, bread cubes, cornbread, sage, marjoram and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Blend well and moisten with chicken broth, Place in a greased 13X9 baking dish and dot with butter. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover and baked for 10 more minutes or until golden brown.
(recipe compliments of Mom)

Greenbean casserole:
You can find it on the side of French's Fried Onions.

Pumpkin Pie:
Well, it's store bought. I got it for free.

I was so proud of myself for making that dinner. It really did look like a Thanksgiving dinner! We ate by candlelight for that little romantic touch just cause I wanted to. :) Anyway, I guess that's about it for now.

No comments: